Pieris japonica Flaming Silver
Pieris 'Flaming Silver' is a splendid Japanese Andromeda, offering a stunning spring show followed by lovely variegation through summer and fall and even, in warm climates, winter. Much more vigorous than either its parent, 'Forest Flame,' or the popular 'Variegata,' it is a fine landscape accent worthy of the best garden setting.
Waxy, early-spring white flowers arise in 3- to 6-inch racemes before the foliage. Very fragrant, they dangle like giant bunches of grapes from the bare branches. Then the foliage appears: bright red for several weeks before mellowing to pink and sporting a broad, distinctive edging of silvery white. The leaves eventually turn dark green for summer, but the variegation remains, standing out nicely through the summer heat and sun.
This shrub reaches about 5 feet high and wide, and is quite easy to grow in sun or shade. It doesn't mind drought (once established in the garden), and thrives in any type of soil from sand to clay, even poor infertile types. Protect it from strong wind and it will reward you with unforgettable spring shows and reliable summer and fall variegation for many seasons to come! Evergreen in warm climates.
Pieris Flaming Silver growing information
Botanical Name: Pieris japonica 'Flaming Silver'
Other names: Japanese pieris
Variety or Cultivar: Flaming Silver
Info: Pieris japonica 'Flaming Silver' is an evergreen shrub with firey red foliage when young turning green edged in white. Panicles of small, white flowers are produced in spring.
- Cultivation: Grow in moderately fertile, humus-rich, acidic soil in full sun to partial shade. May need protection in winter until established.
- Suggested uses: Architectural, Banks and Slopes, City, Cottage/Informal, Flower Arranging, Beds and borders, Low Maintenance, Containers, Woodland
- Soil types: Loamy, Sandy
- Soil drainage: Moist but well-drained, Well-drained
- Soil pH: Acid
- Light: Partial Shade, Full Sun
- Exposure: Sheltered
- Specific pest(s): Lacebugs
- Specific diseases(s): Leaf spot, Phytophthora root diseases
- Propagation method(s): Semi-hardwood cuttings, Softwood cuttings
- Pieris japonica 'Flaming Silver' is: Evergreen
- Flower: White in Spring
- Foliage: Red in Spring; White, Green, Silvery-grey, Variegated in All seasons
- Habit: Compact
- Ultimate height: 1 meter
- Ultimate spread: 1 meter
- Time to maturity: 5-10 years